Thursday, March 03, 2005

Thats faster than my Volvo!

Sport is a funny thing.
Many people love it and many people hate it.
It's always on T.V. (especially the beautiful game).
I love sport and I want everyone I meet to love it too. If they don't like sport, I try pathetic attempts to convert them.
Whether it's because my methods are shit is irrelevant. They always pull the same face.
I can handle that they don't like sport. Really , it's Ok.
What I really hate is when people say that Rugby is a better game/more skilllful game than Football.
IDIOTS.
Anyway, I'm often in total awe of sportsmen and women. The shit they have to go through in order to reach the top.
There are two sports stories which always get me.

1. A kenyan Olympic Gold medallist told how his whole family was dead by the time he was 12.
His only possesion in the world was his goat. He walked with his goat to the nearest town and sold it. With the money he bought an old pair of running shoes. You know the rest.

2. A Colombian tour de france stage winner(cycling for all you sport dodgers) told how his father died when he was very young. He became the only bread winner for his family of 6.
He saved up every penny (or whatever the currency is in Colombia. Don't answer that. It's too easy) to buy a bike. Again , you know the rest.

I love this shit.

I remember Eddie the Eagle Edwards being ridiculed for competing in the Ski jumping at the Winter Olympics a number of years ago.
I also ridiculed him.
I'm sorry Eddie. I didn't know that you and your fellow ski jumpers accelerated to 60 mph in 5 seconds.
You brave , brave Eagle.

1 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger X said...

I'm too young for anything and yet even I took the piss out of Eddie the Eagle.

I have since learned that no matter how much you dislike a person, there's always something they've done that you can respect them for.

Unless, of course, they're George W. Bush.

---X

 

Post a Comment

<< Home