Tuesday, February 08, 2005

No thanks, I'll pass.

I had yet another 1-1 shift yesterday and without stating the obvious, it's a pretty shitty shift to work.
However, there is one good side to these hours. I get to watch the learning zone and various nature programmes on BBC late at night, which I would otherwise most likely miss.
Last night I was watching some Adventurer bloke hanging out with the forest people of Gabon.
Now, I appreciate that to fully experience a peoples culture, you must first live as they do from day to day and experience everything they do.
Unfortunately, in order for him to be trully recognised by these people, he first had to undergo an initiation.
I've seen many a young jock forced to do some crazy initiation shit in my time at C and A college but quite frankly that was kids play in comparison to this.
This bloke was fed Iboga leaf for a couple of hours (before which he had to sign a waiver in case of death or madness) which is supposed to produce some hallucinegenic trip.
After about 6 hours he suddenly started to vomit some yellow shit. This seemed to go on for ages. At one time he thought he was going to Kark it. It felt like his blood was boiling but the tribe elders kept feeding him these leaves for hours until his gag reflex prevented the consumption of anymore.
The next hours consisted of more vomitting, more leaf consumption and more vomitting until the elders had decided he'd had enough.
At this point, the hallucinations started to kick in. Imagine all your past wrongdoings which you've buried deep in your subconscious coming back to haunt you for hours on end and apparently you're somewhere near the ball park.
Just looking at his eyes told you that he was somewhere else in the Universe as the locals crowded around him and patted him on the head.
He said that in the past year he has thought about that trip everyday and that his "rebirth" was the most profound experience of his life.
As much as I'd like to face some of my demons and become a better man for it, I think I'll pass thanx.


2 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Dom said...

I saw that one too, amazing to watch, admittedly i did watch it through a hole in my fingers.

Grant - what exactly is your job? I've only heard tales of your agent being like that of Joey off friends, but i could be wrong.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Bunny said...

My agent. Hmmm, bit confused by that.
I work in a call centre for Stan James Bookmakers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home