Thursday, November 24, 2005

Bizarre twist of fate

I know I won't be the only person to be writing a blog article on George Best today, but as I'm a football obsessive I feel it is my duty to chuck in my two pence worth.

My Dad (he who is responsible for my terrible affliction) believes that George Best was the greatest football player ever.

Although I don't agree, (1st Diego, 2nd Zidane, 3rd Ronaldinho) it has to be said that he was one of the most incredibly skillful players ever to have graced a football pitch.

Sadly, I only have one real life memory of the Great G.B.

Myself and my Dad went to see the last professional match he ever played in at Dean Court (A.F.C. Bournemouth).

All I remember is the Kick-off and the following 10 seconds.

Bournemouth Kicked off and rolled the ball back to George who was standing on the edge of the Centre Circle. George stood on the ball...... and fell over.

There then followed a roar of laughter which seemed to last about 5 minutes.

True, he was a washed up superstar and yes he very probably was pissed at the time.

No matter, I saw him live and although I can't remember anything about the game (except the aforementioned horror show) I'm proud to have seen the great man live.

On any other day I probably wouldn't type any more.

However, today is different.

My work colleague (Millers is his name) pointed out the incredible irony of it all.

George Best died the day after the UK started 24 hour drinking.

Goodbye George, perhaps now you'll be able to play football with Cloughie in Clouds

1 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger M.C. Glammer said...

I deleted my post on him. The gushing has bothered me though. I remember arguments over whether he was even the best player in the Man United team at that time.

I had a pair of his boots when I was a kid. He was the first one to have laces down the side. It didn't make much difference to my playing at that age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home